5 Reasons CurlMix Has The Best Flaxseed Hair Gel You Can Buy
TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read)
If you're reading this and you've got 15 secs, here's what you need to know.
- The Watermelon Kiwi Hair Gel is back and better than ever with a new formula.
- The reformulation improves shelf life and makes it even easier to apply.
- Open your email over the next 5 days to get a behind the scenes look at the development of the gel and a ton of other tips when shopping for gels.
- Only 50 Bottles will be available - Starting Tomorrow!
- It's in a new pump action container.
- It's even more affordable than the previous offerings.
Keep reading if you're nosey like me and want ALL the details.
Stay tuned and I'll tell you everything you want to know.
Tomorrow the reformulated flaxseed gel will be available.
We are only making 50 bottles.
Our gel is special for at least a dozen reasons but I'm only going to name 5.
1. You aren’t going to find true flaxseed gel on the shelves in stores.
The process to make flaxseed gel can be a bit unpredictable and labor intensive, which means many manufacturers refuse to make it and as a result, most brands forego having the best gel available for your hair.
Instead, they resort to a ton of synthetic ingredients and oils to create a clear jelly that will leave your hair perfectly crunchy and dry. (that's bad news)
True flaxseed gel is water based and hard to find.
- The problem is that making it is tricky and you can't be sure you're getting Pure Flaxseed Gel or a high-quality formulation.
- It is notoriously hard to preserve and goes bad quickly if you don't.
- You can only really find flaxseed gel for sale via small crafters.
- Most people just make it themselves, wasting time and money if it doesn't come out perfectly.
2. We are the best at making flaxseed gel.
Yes, you can make it for yourself and I still advocate for that. However, I've seen some people online attempt a CurlMix favorite and completely ruin the gel. I've seen people ...
Add water at the end of the entire process...a HUGE NO NO. IDK why they even thought that was a good idea.
I've seen people boil the life out of the gel until it's impossible to separate the seeds.
I've seen people not add a preservative and just leave it out on the counter for weeks (you CANNOT do this with flaxseed gel).
I've seen almost every mistake you could make, but if you let us do it for you, none of those things will happen.
- We have been making flaxseed gel for over two years and for this recipe we still made an additional 50 batches to perfect it!
3. It still has all ingredients you'll love.
The original recipe had some flaws, but I've fixed them. Here's what's changed...
Packaging - The product now comes in an 8oz bottle but before it was in a jar. It now comes with a pump for easy dispensing, as it can be really messy applying it from a jar. This will make it easier for you to apply your product with just one hand while styling your hair.
Thickener - Before we used Guar Gum as an emulsifier to combine all the ingredients but Guar Gum would separate over time. Now we use Xanthan Gum and the product won't separate. Both are natural sugars often used in food as thickeners.
Organic Not Regular Flaxseeds - This new formula is created with Organic Brown Flaxseeds, not regular Flaxseeds or Golden Flaxseeds to produce a higher-quality and thicker gel. Golden Flaxseeds produce a thinner gel than Brown Flaxseeds.
Castor Oil Not Hempseed Oil - Previously, the Hempseed oil would oxidize and change color when exposed to sunlight or oxygen but it has similar properties to Castor oil and helps with shine. The only major difference is the color of the gel. The gel is now translucent-white instead of green.
Marshmallow Root Extract Not Marshmallow Root Tea - Extract is more potent and prevents the gel from flaking. It also helps to make the hair feel moisturized. Many of the handcrafted flaxseed gel recipes I encountered didn't have this, and as a result, left my hair and clothes covered in white flakes.
Glycerin - Glycerin helps to minimize that crunchy feeling, blend all the ingredients together, and keep your hair moisturized. There's just enough in the gel that it won't cause your hair to frizz.
Citric Acid - A natural ingredient found in citrus fruits that improves the shelf-life of the product by preventing it from changing colors and growing bacteria. It prevents it from oxidizng and the oil from going rancid.
4. I reformulated the recipe so it’s the quality of a product you’d find in stores.
I hope to go into retail with this product, and I formulated it so that we wouldn't have any issues making that transition.
Our new an improved gel is completely optimized:
It doesn’t change color
It won't separate
It's easy to dispense
It's tough enough to withstand shipping
It has beautiful, detailed labels
It is long lasting without refrigeration 6 mos - 1 year.
5. Unlike the fake flaxseed gels in stores, we are truly made with pure flaxseed gel.
Here are the two brands I know who claim to sell flaxseed gel in popular retail locations. Aunt Jackie's and Eco-Styler.
Aunt Jackie's Ingredients
Aqua, Glycerin, Carbomer, Aminomethyl propane, Hydrolyzed wheat protein, Linum Usitatissimum Seed Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Polysorbate 20, Parfum, EDTA, Magnesium Nitrate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyaminopropyl biguanide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional
Water, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Linum usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodum EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), d-Limonene, LOVE AND PRIDE.
CurlMix's Pure Flaxseed Gel
Distilled Water, Organic Brown Flaxseeds, Marshmallow Root Extract, Castor Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), Preservative (Optiphen PLUS), Fragrance, Citric Acid
As you can see, we are the only company using legitimate Pure Flaxseed Gel in our formulation.
Don't be fooled by the packaging ladies and gents.
You still may not be convinced that our gel is as good as I say it is, so I'll address a few questions you may have.
But Kim, the gel is white, shouldn't it be translucent? Yes, it looks white but it’s a bit more translucent and dries clear, I promise, I’ve tested it 20 times on myself, several samples, and volunteers.
Why is it pricier than the other gels? Remeber how labor intensive I said Flaxseed Gel is...well we have to make every bottle by hand and we only include the very best ingredients in it. It isn't mass produced like some of the examples above that are only a few bucks. Higher quality products usually cost a bit more. Yes, it’s a little pricier than Eco-styler, but eco styler is cheap for a reason, our gel is handmade and tested by yours truly...no crunch, no frizz, and it’s not heavy like most gels out there...your hair will bounce when it's dry.
What is it best for? I recommend it for wash n' gos, twist outs, and even retwisting locs. If you are looking to slick your edges back, then this isn't the best gel for that particular style.
Does it really work? I would not put so much effort behind a product if it didn't. I've tested this batch on my hair more times than I can count and I have a 4B texture. It definitely works and it's light-weight.
- You have Citric Acid in it, aren't acids bad for you? Citric Acid is found in citrus fruits. Do you remember when you were a little kid and your mom told you to add lemon juice to the bowl of cut apples to keep them from browning? Well, she really meant to keep them from oxidizing. Citric Acid keeps the oils in the product from going rancid, which minimizes bacteria and creates a safe product for you. So no, all acids are not bad.
GET IT HERE: https://curlmix.com/collections/pure-flaxseed-gels
Are you excited for the new and improved gel?
Let us know in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *